Here's the latest from Orange County's own Rick Warren. Click here: Pastor Rick's News & Views
Warren never ceases to amaze me. There's always some gimmick and the personal hubris is off the chart. If I am reading this announcement correctly (see below), to get all the perks that are mentioned, all you need to do is be available this past Saturday (March 28), be willing to "open your heart to Jesus," and be thirty years of age (Warren will explain).
Two thousand years ago - the Day of Pentecost was the first day of the Christian Church. Acts 2:41 tells us, "About 3,000 people were baptized and joined the church that day." If you'll join us this weekend, history could be repeated at Saddleback! Want to make history?
Which of these requirements do you need to complete this Saturday?
1. Open your heart to Jesus Christ. Click here to learn more.
2. Attend Class 101: Discovering Your Church Family. Sign up.
3. Sign our membership covenant (explained in class).
4. Be baptized the way Jesus commanded and modeled for us.
(Many of us were baptized as kids on our parent's faith. Jesus modeled believer's baptism at age 30 when he was baptized in the Jordan River) It would be my privilege to baptize you after Class 101.
YOU CAN FINISH ALL 4 REQUIREMENTS IN ONE DAY - THIS SATURDAY!
EIGHT REASONS TO JOIN THIS SATURDAY & NOT PROCRASTINATE:
1. I'm personally teaching Class 101 for the first time in ten years.
2. I'm personally baptizing after Class and you'll receive a photo & baptism certificate.
3. You'll get a free one year subscription to Purpose Driven Connection magazine. (Never offered before)
4. You'll get free copy of The Purpose Driven Church book.
5. Your name will be included in the historical list of Saddleback Pioneer Members who joined in our first 30 years. (This Easter is our 30th Easter and I want you included in this list.)
6. The class is 1 hour shorter than normal. You can watch session 3 here online now.
7. You'll be a part of making Christian history! The largest membership class ever!
8. We love you & want you in our family. There is no good reason to procrastinate.
I was asked, "Rick, If you could wish for anything to celebrate your 30 years of service at Saddleback, what would you dream of?" I said, "To experience a repeat of Pentecost - and see 3,000 people affirm their faith and join our church family on a single day." Will you be a part of making this a reality?
I simply can't imagine a church where the members don't know their own pastor (and where its a big deal to actually meet him). I also cannot envision a "church" which goes to this length (with all the give-aways and gimmicks), solely for the sake of matching the number of conversions at Pentecost. And then there is this re-baptism business (ugh).
But then I have been out of the evangelical subculture for a long time . . . I really don't miss it.